Monday 7 January 2013

Arrêter Les Boche!

With Bolt Action fresh in mind I decided to have an investigation of the Lead Mountain to see what early war stuff I had to build upon. As suspected I found a nice (and hefty) Solido die-cast Somua S35. It may be 1/43 scale (I'm not 100% sure) but it looks the business and just needs some weathering for tabletop use.


Infantry wise I dug out the Warlord Defenders of France box set which includes a platoon command squad, one twelve man infantry section and an 81mm mortar and crew.

(photo Warlord Games)
I'm not keen on working out balanced points forces so would need two more twelve man sections to bring the platoon up to TO&E strength (I am thinking that purchasing miniatures from the likes of Crusader will add some variety).

(photo Crusader Miniatures)
In the game platoons are reinforced, the S35 and mortar are perfect for this and I may just add a Hotchkiss HMG and a 25mm anti-tank gun for some variety in games.

On the Zombie front, all eighty have received a base coat of Rotting Flesh and the Zulus have had the filler applied to their bases...

7 comments:

  1. For a unit booster you may want to consider the Early War French Set from Crusader, I got mine during an end of the year sale for like $12 and a blister of the Command (4 figs) for like $2-3. If you look around you could find it on sale somewhere.

    The set has 24 figs, 2 LMGs, 2 officers and 18 rifles.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the heads up I shall keep my eyes peeled.

      Delete
  2. Nice...look forward to seeing the project progress:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It will be great to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Isn't Solido 1/48th? I have some bought in Normandy on various trips and always looks better than 1/56th IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very splendid Somua S35, there, Steve! The Crusader figures look very nice. If you get some, I'd be interested to see how they line up height/bulk wise against the Warlord figures.

    ReplyDelete