Thursday 27 June 2013

Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn!

Earlier in the month I was pondering whether to get involved in the Cthulhu Wars Kickstarter. I love the Lovecraft Mythos and this game (and its wonderful miniatures) tick a lot of boxes for me, I was just wary of the shipping costs and potential VAT and import duties. I was not alone...


Kudos to Sandy Petersen and his team for looking at this and coming up with solutions. Apparently because pledges on Kickstarter are explicitly for the "funding of a project in a pre-retail environment" they can ship the products with a declared commercial value equal to the core manufacturing cost, rather than the full pledge amount. Additionally they are trying to finalise a deal for European distribution that should deal with the heavy shipping cost.


That said, if you are looking at getting most of what is on offer, over 140 mythos miniatures including all the Great Old Ones (free of your pledge is over $200, you are looking at a discount of around 40% on MSRP even if you add in the postage).


So, with so many wonderful mythos beasts to be had and in a scale that allows use in other games I think it is time to take the plunge and sell my soul to Great Cthulhu! Ia! Ia! Cthulhu Fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn wibble...

1 comment:

  1. I like the look of this game, and I love the Lovecraft universe, but one thing bothers me about the game and that is the lack of lurking horror, which is what the writings are all about. Rarely are the gods seen, which makes them so esoteric and frightening. To me, this is just Risk with Cthulhu.

    ReplyDelete