Thursday 2 April 2020

French & Indian Wars: Lower County (Delaware) Provincials

You may recall from my Cunning Plan (or two) for 2020 post that I did mention plans to start on a French & Indian Wars army to use with Sharp Practice and Rebels and Patriots (as based up for here), and that the plan was to use the Galloping Major figures and raise a largely American Provincial force rather than a British or French-Canadian one.


My reasons for this are two fold. First off I wanted to paint some figures not sculpted by either the Perry's or from the Foundry school (Copplestone, Artizan, Crusader et al) just for a change and secondly I did not want to paint a whole army of redcoated infantry (I have Malburians waiting for that!).


With the second point in mind I did some research and found the Forbes Expedition if 1758, whilst containing some Highlanders and the 60th Royal Americans (so some red), had Provincials units from Virginia (blue), Maryland (red), Pennsylvania (green), North Carolina (Indian dress) and the Lower Counties, what was to become Delaware (green) - the first unit painted here. All in all quite a colourful mix.


I went with Galloping Major, as apart form the style being different to much of what I have been painting of late (reminded me of Dixon) so a nice change (and they were hugely enjoyable to paint), I especially like the campaign look the figures have, as well as the variety of poses. They are a bit chunkier than Perry's or Warlord so can't be mixed with them, but the range is big enough that you don't need to.


8 comments:

  1. Great looking fugures Steve. GM do make some excellent animated figures.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Steve

    Often neglected units the provincial regiments

    Cheers
    Matt

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look rather good, I haven't seen many Galloping Major figures painted up, so it was nice to see such clear pictures. I have been collecting figures for 1745, and I have figures for AWI, so the FIW are bookended. So far I have avoided it, but these are tempting. I also suspect that by judicious figure selection, I could use the same figures for AWI Militia.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These figures are the Anglo-American militia codes and I have seen them painted up in civilian clothes (as well as the short coat uniform I have done here) so would easily be good for both. Lots of inspiring photos here and on the GM Facebook page www.gallopingmajorwargames.com/page10.htm

      Delete
  4. Splendid figures, great details on them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have my GM Anglo-American Militia in civilian clothes. I'm guessing that unless a planned campaign they would be hastily assembled. They are good figures. My French-Canadian Militia by GM are a little more 'backwoods' types. Not too dissimilar from the Campagnies Franches de la Marine.
    All good figures

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These are a Provincial Regiment so a little better than Militia and were uniformed (though by the end of a campaign...)

      Delete