Monday 30 December 2013

The Hobbit - An Unexpected Extension?

Despite not being overwhelmed by The Hobbit - An Unexpected Journey when I watched it a year ago, Saul and I are off to watch the second in the trilogy tomorrow. In preparation we decided to re-watch the first movie that Santa had delivered in the extended DVD format.

We haven't had an opportunity to watch the nine hours of extras that come with the two discs of the now three hour movie but the experience was not as bad as I was expecting. Maybe my expectations were lower this time, maybe I was ready for the bunny-sled this time.

The bunny sled and the whole Goblin Town sequence still suck but I'm less annoyed with the inclusion of Azog and some of the other changes.

The extensions only total 19 minutes and don't improve the film in the way that the special edition of Aliens improved the cinema cut and I'm not sure we really needed naked dwarves frolicking in a Rivendell fountain, but the extra material doesn't make the movie any worse and it does add to the level of distrust between dwarves and elves.

So it is The Desolation of Smaug tomorrow, fingers crossed...

1 comment:

  1. Only 19 mins extra? Doesn´t Sound to good.Mind you, I still haven´t got around to watching any of the Extended LotR films :-/
    The bunny sled and the Goblin Town were, very sickmaking..but it´s still a fun film. Naked dwarves!

    ReplyDelete