Wednesday 4 September 2013

Donald Featherstone RIP (and Sheepdog)

No doubt many of you are aware of the sad passing of Donald Featherstone.

Like many of us, his books in my local library were my first introduction to the wargames rules and I think I had his Wargaming Airborne Operations and Skirmish Wargames on a nearly permanent basis.

I don't know how many times I read Wargaming Airborne Operations but it was my favourite wargames book in my teens with its pictures of the same Airfix soldiers that I had in my collection. In many respects I think that is part of the reason I loved it so.

I think I'll dig it out tonight and re-read the chapters on Crete and Market Garden for old times sake...

Gromit of the Day:

Sheepdog

2 comments:

  1. I did something similar yesterday. I pulled out my copy of Tank Battles in Miniature (The Western Desert) and re read his chapter on Visibility in the desert. Its a fantastic bit of prose as well as being a great bit of first hand history and a very useful primer for writing rules for this setting. As I said several timese yesterday, he will be sadly missed but fodly remembered, and thats all any of us can hope for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed. Must dig out my copy of the Western Desert soon, long time since I read it.

      Delete