Friday 18 June 2010

Solitudinem Fecerunt, Pacem Appelunt...

Bloody eBay... You may recall I picked up some Wargames Factory Republican Romans a while back when North Star did one of those "it would be silly not to buy it" sales. Since then I've been pondering systems, basing, dipping and when to get them out of their boxes. In the meantime I decided the OpFor would be Celts as I like Asterix and both Wargames Factory and Warlord Games do plastic ones (ok maybe Germans at a later date...).


A few months on and I'd picked up a couple of boxes of infantry and one of chariots from Wargames Factory off eBay for about half price and began plotting... Then I read Anthony Riches Empire: Wounds of Honour and liking the look of Early Imperial Auxiliaries decided to hunt down a box of Warlord Games for some skirmishes with the Celts, but no way was I doing Early Imperial beyond this, nope it was Julius Caesar with some EI skirmishing on the side...


Part of me blames Iron Mitten as well, it's so bloody inspiring, also Bethany Hughes for her series on the Roman conquest of Britain on the History Channel, but mainly eBay for someone flogging off their Warlord Games Early Imperials for half price. A bid later and I've ended up the proud owner of three boxes of Legionnaires, another Auxiliary set, a box of war machines and in for a penny, in for a pound, a box each of Praetorians and Veterans...


Bearing in mind I was only looking for a final box of Celt infantry and some cavalry, as well as the first series of My Name is Earl on DVD, I think I went a bit off target here, but it was a bargain, albeit a daunting unplanned for bargain. Looking at the pile of boxes of unmade plastic I think this is going to have to be a major blitz project, lock myself away for a week with a can of dip and not stop for anything. Anyway, back to the Runt Bot now which is coming long very nicely...

2 comments:

  1. And so it begins...

    I was wondering about the dipping thing myself but it seems a bit drastic.

    I may change my mind when the plastic legions arrive.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have a look at Iron Mitten and Phil Hendry's blog, both are sold on it and Phil does lovely work with it.

    ReplyDelete