With Phil away on his annual August holibobs, Andy and I like to sneak in some games that don't appeal to Phil, and as I started looking at what we played this year I realised that I had not got around posting about the four great games of Force on Force we played last year, so with some vague recollection of how they went I thought I better get around to it!
To the best of my recollection the first game we played, set in downtown Falafel, the second city of Uruk, was based on the Feint scenario from the Force on Force Fallujah supplement. In it US forces were conducting a series of feint attacks across the city, clearing a couple of buildings that may or may not contain تمرد الغراب (Tamarud Alghurab) Insurgent forces.
With just eight turns to cross the board, clear the buildings and complete the mission this was going to be a challenge for the Americans whose Fire Teams had to quickly push forward if they were to succeed...
They swiftly cleared the first Unknown building which turned out to be empty of insurgents or IEDs.
And as the Fire Teams advanced deeper into downtown Falafel towards he second building, cover was provided by secondary teams put onto Overwatch...
Keeping a watchful eye out for Tamarud Alghurab insurgents!
It did not take long for some to appear...
And a fierce firefight broke out between them and a US Fire Team...
Shockingly the Tamarud Alghurab fire was unusually accurate with Fire Team One Alpha seeing one of their men severely wounded...
And then a second similarly hit another in Fire Team One Charlie! The Americans would need to get these men back to safety post haste!
Under the covering fire from an M249 SAW...
One of the wounded soldiers is dragged to safety, a local guide helping direct the Americans through the maze of streets in downtown Falafel.
Emboldened, the Tamarud Alghurab insurgents surge forward and although many become martyrs under the withering fire of the US Fire Teams, another American is wounded in One Alpha, albeit lightly this time.
The US forces keep up heavy fire on the insurgents...
As the seriously wounded are dragged to safety.
However, this has been a bad day for the Americans and shaken by the encounter, they fall back, their mission not completed.
Despite the overwhelming firepower at their disposal, the asymmetrical Force on Force scenarios are really challenging for First World forces and it does not take much for the battle to run away from them, like here, if things start to go wrong.
Nice write up, I'd like to try FoF one day.
ReplyDelete